“He who cannot establish dominion over himself will have no dominion over others.” – Leonardo da Vinci
Self discipline is important to achieve success in life. It is like pledging to complete any activity we decide to start in our daily lives.
Why is it important?
- Self-discipline means having control over one’s thoughts and the actions arising from them.
- It helps a person to not fall for the traps of instant gratification, avoid procrastination and stick to their own plans for a happier future.
- It helps to break bad habits, make better choices, which could also result in us naturally doing it in our everyday routine.
- It helps maintain focus and determination.
How to develop self-discipline?
Self discipline is learned behaviour.
- Practice and repeat everyday. Over a period of time it would turn into a daily habit, and will come naturally.
- Exercise, proper nutrition and good sleep is very important for the mind and heart to work in tandem.
- Set realistic goals and track the progress along with will power controlling the stress levels.
- Reward with positive reinforcement. Congratulate and treat yourself in small ways every time progress is made.
If we combine self-discipline with set goals and proper planning , we can achieve whatever we desire. This ability helps in building self confidence, self esteem and inner strength into a happy and satisfied lifestyle.
Sharmila Suresh is the Program Director and an Abacus instructor for over 3 years. Her philosophy is to create an environment that fosters the importance of learning and a strong work ethic. She is very passionate and teaches from the heart while allowing students to discover their abilities and mould them into confident individuals.